Enrollment 2018-07-19T13:57:45+00:00


Students who are zoned for Arlington Community Schools or students who have been approved to attend Arlington Community Schools for the 2018-2019 school year must register at the school he/she is zoned to attend for the 2018-2019 school year. Refer to ACS Policy 6.203 for additional information.

Registration Information and Forms

Transfers Within the District (Elementary Only)

A parent/guardian may request that his/her child attend a school within the system other than the one to which the child is zoned. The superintendent or his/her designee shall review such requests and, if adequate space is available, grant such transfers unless a transfer would be adverse to the best interests of the child or the school system. If granted, the student must provide his/her own transportation to and from the school.

Request for In-District Student Transfer

Attendance of Non-Resident Students

Students residing outside the boundaries of the Arlington Community School System may attend schools within the school system under the following conditions and priorities providing there is available space:

  1. They must be approved by the superintendent of schools or designee.
  2. The custodial parent or legal guardian of students seeking non-resident admission must provide transportation to and from school as non-resident students are not eligible for school transportation.
  3. Non-resident students must make application during the Arlington Community School open enrollment period during the second semester of each year unless notified by Arlington Community Schools Student Services. The District shall communicate the application period annually. Applications made less than two (2) weeks prior to the beginning of the school year or during the school year require approval of the sending school district. Applications received after this date will be considered on a case-by-case basis providing requested space is available.
  4. Students residing in Shelby County shall not pay tuition. Out-of-County non-resident students shall be considered on a case-by-case basis and such out-of county students must pay tuition at a rate established by the Board. Such tuition may not exceed per student, per annum, an amount equal to the amount of funds actually raised and used for school purpose by Arlington Community Schools, divided by the number of students in average daily attendance in the ACS System during the preceding school year. Any per student tuition payment shall be reduced by any amount of funds transferred by the transferring pupil’s county of residence under state law. Out-of-State, non-resident applications shall be considered on a case-by-case basis, and such out-of-state student student must pay tuition at the same rate as the average cost per student (state and local funds) in the student’s resident district. Students who become residents of ACS shall be refunded any unused portion of tuition on a pro-rata basis. When payment is not made on all or any part of the required tuition for a previous year, the student(s) shall be excluded from future attendance until all prior or current tuition is paid.

Employees of Arlington Community Schools who reside outside of Shelby County shall pay fifty-percent (50%) of the rate of tuition for their children to attend Arlington Community Schools.

Non-Resident students will be considered for attendance within Arlington Community Schools based on the following:

  • Priority 1: Children of employees of ACS inclusive of feeder school patterns.
  • Priority 2: Children of non-residents who have siblings attending Arlington Schools.
  • Priority 3: All other children residing outside of the Arlington Community Schools attendance zones.

Arlington Community Schools shall have the right to reject the application for non-resident admission of any student who fails to demonstrate a satisfactory academic, discipline, and attendance record.

For additional information, contact Student Services at 901.389.2497

Independent Home School

Parents who choose to home school their own children must:

  1. Provide annual notice to the local director of schools of the parent’s intent to home school his/her children and evidence of a high school diploma or GED.
  2. Maintain attendance records and submit these records to the Director of Schools at the end of the each school year.
  3. Submit proof of vaccination and receipt of proof of any required health services or examinations as required by law.

Testing of independent home school students is required in grades 5, 7, and 9 and coordinated through the local school district.

For additional information regarding Home Schooling visit: http://www.tn.gov/education/schools/homeschool.shtm or contact Student Services at 901.389-2497.

Guidelines and Procedures for Foreign Exchange Students

The following guidelines are provided to assist the foreign exchange organization, the foreign exchange student, and the host family in understanding the expectations of this privilege:

  1. The local foreign exchange organization representative should contact Student Services to complete an application and secure approval to place the student in the high school of the host family’s attendance zone. Applications and all required documentation concerning the exchange student should be submitted no later than May 30 prior to the academic year of attendance. The completed application must include basic records, written in English.
  2. Foreign exchange students are accepted for one calendar year, and will not be approved for a single semester.
  3. Because of limited classroom availability, the District will, annually, only accept up to 3 foreign exchange students.
  4. The foreign exchange student is responsible for providing the month/date/year of all immunization. Immunization records must be in English.
  5. The foreign exchange organization is responsible for providing a copy of the student’s high school transcript for the entire year. The transcript must be in English.
  6. Every foreign exchange student is encouraged to be fluent in writing and speaking English, but will not be denied enrollment if they have limited skills.
  7. The host family must be Arlington Community Schools residents and enroll the foreign exchange student.
  8. Foreign exchange students will be classified at a level no higher than 11th grade.
  9. No student who has completed the equivalent of the 12th grade in their home country, has received a diploma or a certificate of graduation, or is considered eligible for college or university placement will be eligible to attend a district high school.
  10. Foreign exchange students will not be placed in class ranking.
  11. Foreign exchange students are subject to ACS attendance and discipline policies and are expected to participate fully in their classes, including taking tests.
Homeless Students

A homeless student shall have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education as provided to other children and youths in compliance with the McKinney-Vento Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, Part C, § 721.


Homeless Brochure (English)
Homeless Brochure (Spanish)

Shared Residency Requirements

In the case in which a student resides with his/her parents/legal guardians/custodians having lawful control of the student in someone else’s home, proof of shared residency and a completed, notarized Shared Residence Affidavit must be provided in order to enroll a child in Arlington Community Schools:

A. The homeowner of the home in which the student resides must accompany the parents/legal guardians/custodians to registration at the school and provide two (2) proofs of residence.

B. The parents/legal guardians/custodians having lawful control of the student claiming shared residency must provide two proofs of residence.

For additional information, please refer to the links below.
Shared Residency Packet (English)
Shared Residency Packet (Spanish)